Friday, February 13, 2009

Did I really just say that

I'm sure that we have all, at some point said something and then thought to ourselves, "did I really just say that?" Well I had one of those moments this morning and it was pretty random & kinda funny so I thought I'd share. The story begins like this...The boys were sitting at the table eating breakfast before school, just like they do every morning. As usual I was running around trying to get things done & keep everyone on task so that we could leave on time. This morning I was especially distracted because the kids have their Valentine's parties today so that meant there were lots of "extras" that needed to be done this morning. So I'm in the kitchen trying to get the Valentine's gifts for the kids' teachers ready while listening to my 11 year old have a semi-breakdown due to her inability to wrap a box the way she thinks it should be wrapped, the boys are eating, and time is ticking away. I'm only half listening to the boys talk as they eat, but I hear them laughing while they engage in various contests that involve drinking the milk out of their cereal bowls. I believe it started with who could drink the milk from the bowl the fastest, and escalated from there into many variations of the same kind of game. As I stated earlier, I was distracted & time was ticking away, but I'm thinking that we have got to get moving. Well, the next thing I know I hear myself say to my boys, "Boys, you're going to have to take a break from your drinking games & go get dressed for school." What???? Did I just tell my 8 & 6 year old to "take a break from their DRINKING GAMES!" As a parent that is just not a phrase I thought I would ever say to my young children (or any at any age for that matter). I didn't even tell them to stop, I just said "take a break." Obviously their drinking games were the G rated version, and it was all completely innocent and lighthearted but ever since it happened I can't stop asking myself, did I really just say that...

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog through Joy's...

    This is so funny. I really can't believe some of the things that come out of my mouth when I'm correcting my kids.

    ReplyDelete